Articles and Reports
NEWS, ARTICLES AND REPORTS
- Two European Fingerprint Smart Card Teams prepare for Battle by Richard Johnstone
- The New £100 Retail Transaction Limit– a Spoonful of Sugar? by Richard Johnstone
- Use of biometrics in airports is increasing and becoming more widespread, yet integration for seamless travel remains in the pilot phase: John Devlin. P.A.ID Strategies
- Should the Contactless Limit in the UK be raised?: Pete Alcock
- Digital Identity, Verification and the UK Trust Framework: Richard Johnstone
- Brexit and the UK Finance’s proposed £100 contactless limit: Gary Munro, Consult Hyperion
- Bus Open Data Service: Keeping it simple with ticketer by TICKETER
- The Costs of Payment Card Transactions by Richard Johnstone
- Putting Access Control at the heart of your campus - by Gordon Swallow, Gallagher
- Launch of the International Biometric Forum (IBF) - 30th June 2020
The Launch Meeting of this Forum was held as a Live Webinar on 30th June, where delegates were able to hear why we are establishing this new, membership-based educative and networking forum to address the emerging world of biometrics. This technology is revolutionising identity and authentication, and is being rapidly rolled out across all vertical industries. The era of the PIN is nearly over.
Whilst biometrics are becoming ubiquitous, there are huge challenges ahead to ensure their security, operational integrity, appropriate privacy and standardisation. The current COVID-19 pandemic has changed some of the operational ways by which biometric validation is performed, notably the need to avoid physical contact with readers that are used by many people, instead using the in-built biometrics offered by most smartphones. This is a thriving industry, with at least 10 main types of biometric, and a great deal of competition between the suppliers of these.
At the launch event, delegates benefitted from the views and visions of specialists in this field on the following:
- Biometrics and beyond, a FinServ. perspective: Martin Ingram, RBS
- Home Office EU Settlement Scheme: Jon Payne, WorldReach Software
- Securing corporate payments with biometrics: Ray Hockley, Hitachi Europe
The IBF principals also explained the IBF objectives, service offer, terms of reference, operations and membership price options - see below to download these presentations:
- Welcome and IBF vision statement: Richard Poynder, Smartex
We plan to establish a small steering committee to oversee the content of meetings, some of which will be face-to-face - in the unique Smartex style – whilst others will be online.
If you or your organisation is interested in joining this new group as a member, please contact Annabel Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0)7785 254405.
- Elevated Temperature Screening - by Digital Barriers
- Warning that thermal cameras and other such “temperature screening” products, some of which make direct claims to screen for COVID-19, are not a reliable way to detect if people have the virus - by MHRA https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/medicines-and-healthcare-products-regulatory-agency
- Accelerating Ticketer innovation during challenging times - by Ticketer www.ticketer.co.uk
- EFT contactless payment cloud - by Exorigo360 www.exorigo360.com
- Finture - by Exorigo360 www.exorigo360.com
- Members of the UK card industry unite to help manufacture Personal Protective Equipment - by Cardel www.cardel.co.uk
- Shop Safe, Pay Safe - by DIGISEQ www.digiseq.co.uk
- The Contactless Future - by DIGISEQ www.digiseq.co.uk
- Are contactless cards really the safest form of payment? - by Richard Poynder, Smartex, with grateful acknowledgements for technical assistance from John Creedy, Viral Purification Specialist, in his article recently published by Mike Scialom of the Cambridge Independent